Timeline

1928: (July 4th) Promenade dedicated around Lake Mirror (Sometimes called “Mirror Lake.”)

1928: Bandstand placed on promenade

1946: Promenade dedicated the “Frances Langford Promenade”

1972: Top portion of bandstand removed after damage suffered in 1960s

1973: Deterioration noted on promenade

1978: Historic Lakeland, Inc. starts campaign to restore promenade

1981: Promenade called “well persevered” in Tampa Tribune article; HLI notes plans to restore Lake Mirror in Ledger article

1983: Promenade added to National Registry of Historic Places

1983: Lake Mirror is partially drained by 3′ to study the “aging promenade.”

1983-1987 extensive work cleaning and repairing promenade

1995: Work starts toward closing Lemon Street around the park to improve the promenade

1998: Lemon Street closed to traffic around Lake Mirror

2013: “Frances Langford Promenade” rededicated with new marker

2013 Rededication Sign and Ceremony Thank You Page

Thanks to David Dickey, Tom Hagerty, Chuck Welch, Abhishek Mukherjee, and the Lakeland Library History Room for photos and video.

And a special thanks to every person and organization that reminds Lakelanders about the Frances Langford Promenade.