Posts by chuckwelch

2018 Promenade Facelift

»Posted by on Mar 25, 2019 in Information | Comments Off on 2018 Promenade Facelift

LAKELAND, FL (February 6, 2018) | Visitors around the Francis Langford Promenade at Lake Mirror may be wondering what construction crews are doing near the Albert Paley sculpture “Tribute to the Volunteer Spirit.” The four column clusters that frame the piece of art are being restored. The column clusters are in the area known as the Dixie Highway and they consist of five 15’ tall Corinthian precast columns that surround a center column that is 18’2” tall. Round light globes top each of the columns. The column clusters were originally installed in 1926 as part of the original Lake Mirror Construction. In 1959 the columns were removed and replaced. In 2016, all four sets of columns were damaged after a windstorm. As a temporary fix, the columns were strapped and...

read more

Frances Langford Promenade

»Posted by on Mar 25, 2019 in Information | Comments Off on Frances Langford Promenade

Frances Langford Promenade

“The Frances Langford Promenade…is a historic site located between Lemon Street and Lake Mirror Drive. On January 27, 1983 it was added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places. The project was built in two phases and completed in 1928. Charles Wellford Leavitt of New York was the original designer of the Promenade. In 1946, the City of Lakeland dedicated the promenade to Lakeland native Frances Langford for her music and acting career as well as for her work with the United Service Organizations during WWII. The Promenade was rededicated in 2013 with a new plaque honoring Francis Langford.” — City of Lakeland, 2018

read more

2013 Rededication Sign and Ceremony Thank You Page

Thanks to David Dickey, Tom Hagerty, Chuck Welch, Abhishek Mukherjee, and the Lakeland Library History Room for photos and video.

And a special thanks to every person and organization that reminds Lakelanders about the Frances Langford Promenade.